I was always on this path

In resurrecting this blog, I discovered that my college blog still exists--hidden away from the world, of course. I spent an hour last night perusing some of the old entries. Things about school and my love life and finding myself. You know, college stuff. Then I came across a list I'd made in 2003 of things to do before I turn 35. That's this year people!

So, time for a status check...

Things to do before I turn 35
1. Live in another country for more than 6 months
2. Fall in love
3. Learn to play the guitar well
4. Get a Master's degree or higher
5. Travel to at least 4 continents
6. Feel confident in my skin/body
7. Write something publishable
8. Learn about car engines and basic maintenance
9. Help someone in a lasting way
10. Become a sunlight person (i.e. not live my life at 2am)
11. Get a tattoo
12. Be able to run a mile without feeling like I'm about to die
13. Develop healthy eating/exercising/meditating patterns
14. Become fluent in Spanish

I color coded for achievement, in progress, total flop. Obviously, a mixed bag, but it's what I put on this list that really interests me. Sometimes I think about who I was when I as 20, and it seems like she might've been someone else entirely. This list, though, says it's not so. It tells me that the things I hoped for and valued when I was younger, fresher, less crusty are largely the same things I'm still striving for now. 

I didn't veer from my path when I abandoned nonprofit work to write fiction or when I married a man who was different from every other guy I'd dated before. Wanting to love my body and live in spirit isn't new to soon-to-be 35 Rachel; I've always wanted that. And I'm closer now than ever before. It's progress. 

It's interesting to me too that children aren't on that list. Maybe it was implicit. Love, marriage, kids. But it's not there. Maybe that means something too. 

Either way, it's reassuring to know that I've always been on this path. I didn't stray. I just keep finding my way. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog